Re: DNS Server setup?

At 04:04 6/15/2004, david wrote:
Im trying 2 setup the DNS server.
The first dialog requires me to enter 1 of the following:
        Forward Master Zone
        Reserve Master Zone
        Slave Zone

What are you actually trying to do? DNS is a critical service, since without it Internet access will effectively be broken as far as your users are concerned. So it is very important that DNS works all the time without errors.

If you can give more details on what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps we may be of more assistance. In the meantime, if you want a short description of the most basic terms and concepts in DNS, try reading my "DNS First Steps" document, which you can reach from here:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

It should provide you with a first step as an introduction. Then, for greater depth I recommend the "DNS HOWTO" at LDP which others have already recommended. And of course you can post more questions on this list as well after you read those documents.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com