Re: changing bootloaders in FC2

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 17:20, Globe Trotter wrote:
> By the way, the installation process actually finds
>
> "Autodetects RAID arrays"....
>
> Why would it do so if, as you suggest, hardware RAID is not set up on my
> system?
>
> I guess I have to look up on documentation for setting up hardware RAID first?

> --- Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Di, den 15.06.2004 schrieb Globe Trotter um 1:49:
> >
> > > In any case, here is the partitioning:
> > >
> > > /dev/hde1  ext3
> > > /dev/hde2  swap
> > > /dev/hde4
> > >    /dev/hde5  ext3  /
> > >    /dev/hde6  ext3  /usr/local
> > >
> > > /dev/hdg is where the mirror is (it shows as free space).
> >
> > Ok, you did not set up any RAID. The controller is some kind of "fake
> > hardware RAID" - it is just software RAID with BIOS support.
> >
> > Follow partitioning instructions within Disk Druid during installation
> > of Fedora by this manual:
> >

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-software-raid.html
> >
> > You have to make use of Linux software RAID. And see
> >
> > http://www.dirigo.net/tuxTips/avoidingProblems/GrubMdMbr.php
> >
> > for having grub on both RAID1 drives. (The link was posted today here on
> > the list by Christopher K. Johnson.)
> >
> > Alexander
----
dude - you just got a complete analysis of the problem, links to the
solution to your problem, by one of the best people on this message
base.

Regardless of the fact that you think you have hardware raid - to ANY
Linux, it is not hardware raid because if it were true hardware raid, it
would only appear as a single system device. Windows plays along with
the notion that what you have is hardware raid but it's only a wolf in
sheep's clothing.

If you were to search the archives, you will find this topic repeatedly
on the various versions of redhat archives but the answer doesn't
change.

Craig