Re: Md5sum new kernel

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:48:35PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 11.06.2004 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 18:35:
>
> > $ rpm -K kernel-*
> > kernel-2.6.6-1.427.i686.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
> > kernel-sourcecode-2.6.6-1.427.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
>
> Reviewing the packages, I wonder why the RPM with the kernel source now
> is called "kernel-sourcecode" and no longer "kernel-source". Any special
> reason for that (while I think it will not break any dependencies)?

Well up2date did not do the right thing without intervention.

A user will have to use a command line and manually do:

  up2date install kernel-sourcecode

 or

  yum install kernel-sourcecode

i.e. we should note for the record how kernel-source was not updated at the
same time that kernel was.  And there could be a version mismatch that
demands attention and manual action for those source oriented users.

   [/var/log]# grep kernel rpmpkgs
   kernel-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm
   kernel-2.6.6-1.427.i686.rpm
   kernel-doc-2.6.6-1.427.noarch.rpm
   kernel-source-2.6.5-1.358.i386.rpm
   kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.131.i386.rpm

It is not the end of the world but documentation is sparse for FC2
and we depend on RH9 docs.  This small change is not there.

At first I thought that this was just a couple slow mirrors and
I was going to fix it up in a week when I got a round two it.

I wonder if there are some rpm tricks that can let yum and up2date
make the transition.  It would have been nice to make this at the time
that FC2 released -- same time as the X, and system-config-* name
changes etc.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l