Re: How do I limit the network usage of a single application

Cool, that helps with rsync. I guess I should modify my question to say can I limit bandwidth usage of a general application?

dalen wrote:

Brian Anderson wrote:

Sorry if this is an obvious question. I googled for a solution, but nothing seemed to stand out that wasn't a programming solution.

I want to do some downloading without consuming all my DSL bandwidth. Is there a way to control the amount of bandwidth an application like rsync (and all its children) can consume? I share my network with other computers, so I can't just use nice to control usage.

Thanks for the help

-Brian

run "man rsync" from a shell and discover what the --bwlimit option does.