Re: enable DNS

From: "Nina Pham" <nina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Then you may ask for an address:
> >  www.duke.edu
> >
> >and you should get the address 152.3.233.7 and 152.3.233.20 resp.
> >
> >You may leave the programm by <ctrl><c>
> >
> >Does this happen as described?
> >
> >Peter
> >
> I got the correct ip back when i do nslookup server, but don't get
> anythinig from www.duke.edu. How do I make sure that dns client is on?

nina, the fellows here are presuming you either have no firewall or
that the firewall is open for what you want to do. Have you checked
to make sure that you can get through the firewall you are running.

> dig www.duke.edu

That should give you a collection of blather, nost of which you do
not need. But these lines are interesting:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.duke.edu.           86400   IN      A       152.3.233.20
www.duke.edu.           86400   IN      A       152.3.233.7

If you browser does not find "http://www.duke.edu/"; then try
one of the IP addresses directly, "http://152.3.233.20/"; for
example. If that does not work then you may have port 80 blocked
on your firewall. (And I am assuming that nslookup worked for you
so the "dig" should work just as well. If it does not work then
maybe dns is getting fouled up at the firewall.)

{^_^}