Re: FC2 killed my Hard Disk

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 07:46, Jeff Allison wrote:
> I am very confused finally got all the iso's together for a fc2 install
> inserted first proceeded normally installed about 5 packages then
> stopped, switched consoles saw s**t loads of ide reset errors on the HD.
>
> Waited waited only errors rebooted.
>
> smart error on reboot. smart errors in windows 2000 hard drive is 3 wks
> old can only assume FC2 killed my Hard Disk.

Just because A came before B doesn't necessarily mean B caused A.  An OS
install is a very good stress test for a hard drive/IDE subsystem and it
sounds like yours must've been ready to croak.  If a drive is going to
fail, it's statistically more likely to fail in the first month or so of
use... I've seen this happen countless times with new RAID arrays.  We
never put them into production without a good shakedown period first.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves@xxxxxx