Re: VNC

My approach :
1. as a normal user, run vncserver directly.

$ vncserver

vncserver will ask you to offer a password, and then tell you it is
ready by following message ...

new 'xxx:1(yyy)' desktop is xxx:1
starting applications specified in /home/yyy/.vnc/xstartup
logfile...(skip)

where xxx=your hostname, yyy=your user name

2.[optional] Chenck your vncserver is running
$ ps -ef | grep vnc

You should see a process Xvnc is running in the background.

3.Make sure your firewall had opened TCP port 5901. By default VNC will
use this port for communication. You can do this by using

# setup

and choose firewall setup | customize , add a tcp port 5901
manually.This move should be completed by a root account.

4.[optional] Check your firewall setting and make sure this port is
open.

# iptables -L | grep 5901
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:5901

5.if your FC2 is connected to internet directly, you should be able to
VNC your FC2 now :) However, most computers may stay behind a firewall
in these days, you may consider to use SSH port forwarding to access
your FC2.
A good tutorial can be found at
http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/sshvnc.html

I had a FC2 act as my firewall, and my desktop is in my private network.
I use following words to connect my desktop remotely :

putty -L 5901:172.16.0.1:5901 yyy@xxxxxxx

where putty = ssh client on windows, yyy=username, xxx=your firewall
host name. After this SSH port forwarding is built, you can run
viewer.exe on windows, type in

localhost:1

to access your desktop now :)

Sorry for my poor English. Hope these steps above can help you build
your vnc connection; any comments or suggestions are also welcome :)

Patrick

å ä, 2004-06-11 07:39, Timothy K. Wagner åéï