Re: Firewall & Routing - help!

Kevin F. Berrien wrote:
With the help of many on the previous thread (Firewall - Very limited Access - suggestions), I've built my firewall using fwbuilder & FC1. At present I've got it set up in a test environment. The firewall seems to be operating correctly with one exception, but my real problem is with my routing. I've always been terrible with routing.... At present, I can't traverse from a workstation on the "internal" subnet to host on "external" subnet, or internet.

I am not using NAT on this firewall, it just bridges two subnets -

Just a note to point out that a "bridge" connects two segments of the *same* subnet; a router routes between different networks (including sub-nets). So your firewall is actually routing between the subnets, not bridging them.

If you've checked the "bridging firewall" option in fwbuilder you should turn it off, if fwbuilder thinks it's a bridging firewall it may generate incorrect rules.

-- Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK E-mail : nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555