Re: A word of appreciation

Peter Silcock wrote:
I can understand the frustration of those who are installing FC2, just want it to work, work out the box, and work straight away, yet find themselves confronted by error messages and misdemeanours. Although I've had one or two problems myself since moving to Red Hat 9 last year, and twice been through the cycle of depair and try another distro (only to encounter the same problems there), on the whole it's been a great experience. I'm not a natural team player but I appreciate all the effort that the OS community puts into improving the quality of the distros and especially the kindness of strangers. Thanks to you all.

Doubly sad to find people driven to simple abuse and aggressive tirades. What really surprises me about all this is that so many people seem to be developing SIS/SSS* as if it is some kind of contagion spread by FC2 installs. And we're not talking about newbies here (although a newbie who gets lippy deserves a slap, perhaps). What's an allegedly experienced sysadmin doing running FC2 for business critical apps anyway? If he worked in my place I'd suggest a change of occupation. How many hundred warnings and statements of purpose does it take to drive home the message that this is an experimental release? If you want stability, try another distro - surely that's not too hard to understand. What ever happened to piloting, prototyping and testing? And for heaven's sake RTFM.

So thanks to the mailing list correspondents who teach me stuff and add to my appreciation of Linux in general and Fedora in particular. A pox on the others.

Peter Silcock

* That's Sudden Illiteracy Syndrome and Sudden Stupidity Syndrome.

I agree. Many of the threads are full of people complaining about this and that rather than asking for help. It's like males asking for directions. They need them, but would die before asking for them. Despite those select few people, I find on whole this list to be quite lively and helpful. Thank you to all that contribute help to those who need it, and thank you to all the people who ask for help (because we all know there are lots out there who would rather not ask for help).

Thanks again William Penton -- One OS to fool them all One browser to find them One email client to bring them all And through security holes, blind them...