RE: Cups crap

> At 11:42 6/10/2004, Powell, James F CONT wrote:
> >OK, I have 2 networked printers in this office, both HP Color
> >LaserJets.  One is a 4500 and one is a 4550.  I'm using both
> of them via
> >JetDirect (which worked in FC1 without any modifications).
> They both are
> >maxed out in memory and have duplex units.  Upon upgrading
> to FC2, both
> >still are accessed, but only blank sheets of paper come out
> regardless of
> >what type of document I send to them.
>
> Is the JetDirect card internal? Or is it an external
> printserver?

It is an internal card in the printers.

> Which URL
> or address are you using to print to the printers?

I'm using the physical IP address of each of them, in this case Cubicle has an IP of 129.131.45.12.

> Does CUPS actually claim
> to support them? If so, with which drivers or methods?

When you go through the printer setup, there are Drivers listed for both of the printers in the setup, so I hope that CUPS supports them.  I included the 4550 in this message, as it is the only one included in the machine I can get to from this machine.

> Can you post the
> relevant sections of the config files?

<Location /printers/Cubicle>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
AuthType None
</Location>
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
BrowseAllow from @LOCAL
Listen 127.0.0.1:631

> Are there any errors in the logs?

Nope, CUPS seems to think it did it's job, and at least paper came out.

> Can you print to those networked printers from an FC1 box?

Yes, no problems except it is only black and white (no color), which I can deal with, I rarely need color anyway.

> Are there *any*
> visible differences in the configurations between FC1 and FC2?

Nothing that is obvious.

> DETAILS!!! <grin> It is impossible to troubleshoot anything
> without lots of details.

Sorry, I should know not to do this type of thing while I'm working on the aircraft, not enough time to really think about what you need.

Jim Powell
L3 Communications GSI
Senior Scientist/Engineer
AV-8B Weapons Integration