Re: Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

You might try tunneling the traffic and compressing it but I doubt that would give you the kind of improvement you are looking for.

I'm not sure how that can be done. Currently I'm mounting the share from the samba box to my laptop.(mount -t smbfs ) and saving files to it frequently have app hangs. (even browsing folders)

How can I do the tunneling? Any suggestions? IPSEC? SSH? etc? I'm new in
this.

ssh. (via port forwarding) I've done this a few times (not across large distances as you plan to)

1. setup the ssh tunnel - with compression
ssh -C -N remote-ssh-box   -L10139:remote-samba-box:139

2. Now mount the filesystem (using the locally forwarded port)
smbmount //localhost/share-path /local-mount-point  -o port=10139',other-options

Satish