Re: hardware advice

Craig Tinson wrote:
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 20:36, srb wrote:

I have an Asus A7N8X-X (the "-X" series does not have dual-channel memory)
and really like it. I've got an AMD 2500+ with 512MB OCZ Performance DDR400
that works great. The NVidia chipset is really good, solid and stable...
lots of bandwidth. I've tried many Linux distros that work without any
problems (Fedora Core 2, Knoppix 3.4 to name just two). I've heard many
people say that NVidia has the best chipset for AMD systems. If you plan to
use Firewire or Serial-ATA you might want them to give you the A7N8X-Deluxe
board instead which includes those goodies. :-)

I hope that helps!

-Steve.

well.. that sounds hopeful :)

actually it *is* the deluxe version they are offering.. and have just
found out (since posting the original post) that that mobo indeed *does*
have SATA Raid.. so was happier than I originally was..

good to know it works well though.. am planning on using it for a Myth
machine so performance and, more importantly, stability is high on the
priority list..

thanks again

Craig

On mine I have played a movie (no audio), music, surfing the web/newsgroups and SETI@Home and I don't even notice a hickup. I want to start playing with myth but I have to find a remote video capture/player box. Something like this.
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp

I read a page that says it will work with Linux.

--
Robin Laing