Remote Desktop (vncviewer)? (WAS: Remote X server login)

Does anyone know how to start vncserver on the *console* of the remote
machine?  I've had it so I can login and start a few apps, then go off
to another machine and see the entire console desktop (i.e. background
picture and all), remotely via vncviewer.  I forgot how I did it
though.  Is this possibly achieved by starting the vncserver somehow
before the user is prompted to login?  It would be cool to have
vncserver work in such a way that it would start and supposed the remote
machine is sitting on the GUI login screen, the user could then proceed
to login as if they were sitting right in front of the unit.

I have vncserver starting as a daemon, but doesn't seem to work in this
fashion.

Ideas?

TIA,

Julian