Wierd CDROM Error While Installing Packages on Fedora Core 2

I just installed Fedora Core 2 today, and the install went fine.  It
successfully installed from CDs 1 & 2.

I went to add more packages using system-config-packages from a shell, as
root user.  I selected a bunch of stuff I wanted to install, and it thrashed
for a while and then asked me to insert "Fedora Core 2" disk 1.  I put it in
the drive, closed the door, waited for the drive light to go off and clicked
on OK.

It popped up a dialog that said "Unable to access disk
                                 The disk was unable to be accessed for
				 reading. Please confirm that it is in the
				 drive and try again."

I verified it was the proper CD and tried again, same thing.

In /var/log/messages a couple errors popped up on the first attempt:

   kernel: cdrom: open failed
   kernel: udf: registering filesystem
   kernel: UDF-fs: No VRS found

On subsequent retries, it fails to log anything else.

I then choose "cancel", and the program hangs for about 1 minute, then
finally exits.  Still nothing logged.

In a root shell, I can "cd /mnt/cdrom" and see it IS mounted and that the
contents of the CD are correct... it's disk one alright, and I can change
into the directory where the RPMs are and install anything I want using RPM.

So what's the silly "system-config-packages" program's problem?

Thanks

Michael