Re: PDF Print Server

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 17:37, Mario Casamalhuapa wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> I want to build a pdf printer similar to Adobe, and I want to print
> in pdf on my network and share it with everyone. I once heard that
> there was a PDF print server, is there one????
>
> Please help me find one. It will be cool if this server was a web
> base???
>
> Mario Casamalhuapa

Here's one that works well for a "network pdf printer" using samba if
you want to set one up for your own network.

This printer will convert the document you wish to print to a "PDF"
file.  All you should have to do is to install a new printer on your
machine:

Network Printer:

\\Sambashare\pdf

Printer Type:

HP Color LaserJet 5/5M PS (Postscript)

and when you print to it, the resulting PDF file will be stored on the
shared drive at:

\\Sambashare\pdfdocs

The file will be named according to the date and time you issued the
print command. For example the file:

May03-142120.pdf

============= smb.conf =================

[PDFDocs]
        comment = SambaOne PDF Printer Documents
        path = /mnt/pdfdocs
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

; Set up our PDF-creation print service
[pdf]
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s
   lpq command =
   lprm command =

=============== /usr/bin/printpdf ================
(Scarfed from a fellow by the name of John Bright seen below...)

#!/bin/sh
# script to convert a specified postscript file into a PDF document
# and place it in a location that is shared by the Samba server.
#
# Arguments:
#   1st - The name of the spool file
#
# John Bright, 2001, jbright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# create the pdf into a temporary file based on current date and time.
# After we are finished, rename it same date, but ending
# in .pdf.  We do this because if a user tries to open a PDF that is
# still being written, they will get a message that it is corrupt,
# when it is actually just not done yet.

DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`

# Directory in which to place the output
# Be sure this directory exists and is writable by the user that Samba
# is running as (for example, the nobody user)

OUTDIR=/mnt/pdfdocs

ps2pdf $1 $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp

mv $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$DATE.pdf

rm $1