Re: Continueing BlackScreen/Freeze

It would appear that on Jun 8, Scot L. Harris did say:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 20:51, Ragone_Andrew wrote:
> > I have just installed Mandrake over the Fedora Core 2 distro that I
> > had intended to install. Installation went fine but I figureed I would
> > try this distro as FC2 kept randomly freezing and giving me blank
> > screens (not sending data to the monitor so that it goes into a sleep
> > mode).
> >
> > I booted up Mandrake today and it froze so I restarted as FC2 once
>
> What size power supply do you have?  With that many drives you might be
> exceeding the power supply specs.
>
> It could also be a heat problem.  Since it happens in two different
> version of Linux it sounds like it is not an OS problem.
>
> Run memtest to check your memory and make sure you have sufficient
> cooling.
>
> I had a system that would occasionally hang.  Had pretty much ruled
> everything out except heat as a problem.  Added several fans to the
> system as well as new heat sink.  Finally replaced the mother board and
> it has not hung since.

I'm wondering if it's more like kernel version specific rather than
distro version specific.... And/or if he actually installed mandrake
right "over" his problematic FC2 without wiping out all the old files
then...

There may be some hardware related parts to this of course, But I'm
doubting this is as simple as an overheating problem. See my experiences
below.

I too have had similar problems with FC2 lately, My hardware hasn't
changed. It didn't happen with mdk 9.1, RH 9 or FC1.  And it didn't
happen right away with FC2 either.

I'm not sure this part is related, but a few weeks ago my screen saver
stopped working properly... It worked when it was supposed to but the
selected graphic display didn't appear on the screen anymore. I played
with the screen saver set-up and found that I could choose another
display, but that the one I had been using no longer generated a
VISIBLE display. There had been a few that didn't seam to work on my
system anyway, so I didn't think much of it. I accepted a different
display and thought no big deal.

Then about a week later I started getting these random lockups.
sometimes my screen would go blank while I was actively typing in an
"konsole" terminal window. But in that case if I kept hitting keys it
came right back. At other times I'd set it to doing something like
opening a large newsgroup folder with pine and check back a few minutes
later to find it dark, cold & basically dead listening to none of the
keys nor the mouse. Had to use the power switch to force a reboot.

Sometimes I leave it unattended for a FEW hours without a problem.
sometimes as little as 20 minutes to find it comatose. All I know is
every time I caught it happening I could stop it with the keyboard or
mouse. And every time I came back to it having already happening, NOTHING
short of the power switch worked.

I tried disabling the monitor power settings of my intel P3 desktop with
a rage 128 video card Didn't help, So I turned them back on and disabled
the screen saver ( I unchecked the box that says to start the screen
saver automatically ) and I haven't had the problem since...

I have a 40gig and a 60gig ide harddrive a dvd-rom and a cd-rw drive plus
a 3.5 floppy, an ethernet card and one USB powered peripheral (an Memorex
scanner that doesn't use much when it's not actively scanning...) I still
have both my MDK9.1 & a backup FC1 installed, neither of them have at any
time had this problem.

I searched the archives for similar and there was a similar thread with
FC2 and an Athelon 64 called "Random Screen Blank on startup all the
Time." and another topic called, "Turning of the screensavers" in which
one person had this kind of problem with FC1 and someone replied that
they had experienced something like it with RH9 and solved it by
disabling the screen saver... ( which is where I got the idea to try
that)

I don't really know what the problem is, But I'm just glad all I had to
give up was the pretty screen savers that I never spent much time
looking at anyway.

- --
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #