Re: Mozilla gif rendering utilizes 100% cpu?

Chris Kloiber wrote:
On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:49, Øyvind Stegard wrote:

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:53:49AM -0700, Vibol Hou wrote:

Does anyone have this particular page slowing their system down to a crawl in Mozilla? I tried the same page in Opera and it works fine. System isn't choppy.

http://www.khmer.cc/community/t.c?b=12&t=17104

It's work-safe, just a bunch of animated gifs of science stuff.

Mozilla memory usage climbs rapidly to about 300MB RES (600-700MB VIRT)
to display this page (after it has finished loading). This causes
swapping (if you aren't blessed with huge amounts of RAM). Swapping
causes headaches. I won't say the page is handled very efficiently, with
regard to memory usage, but hey, we're talking about Mozilla here. Buy
some more RAM and label the chips with "Reserved for Mozilla", then
insert onto mainboard. See if problem goes away.

Ow! Ran me right out of swap and crashed the system on
RHEL3-U2/mozilla-1.4.2-3.0.2. Will try later tonight on my FC2 box, but
it has a gig-o-ram, so I think I will not be crashing at least unless it
doesn't stop increasing the memory usage.

My machine has a gig of RAM and upon looking at that link, it slowed the machine considerably. My particular setup is an Athlon 2800+ gig of dual channel ram. Yeah I noticed slowness while painting the screen if I tabbed through windows. Very weird, that's the first time I've seen my machine behave in such a fashion. It also took my cpu usage up to 100% until I killed it. Mouse control was normal though.

Alex White