Re: Grub Reinstall Problem!!!

> Am Di, den 01.06.2004 schrieb Joe(theWordy)Philbrook um 07:41:
> > With lilo, if I install it to mbr with "lilo -b /dev/hda"  I can also make
> > a back up boot floppy with "lilo -b /dev/fd0" without breaking the one
> > in /dev/hda... [....]

It would appear that on Jun 1, Peter Boy did say:
> I'm by ways not a grub expert  :-)
>
> I don't know because I never tried it yet and prefer to use the rescue
> mode. The way you describe the problem it may be a grub bug.

Well I wouldn't know the difference between a bug and a basic design
["flaw"?] It could be, for all I know, something in grubs design logic
that prevents having more than one bootstrap option at the same time.
I've always liked the ability to have a working emergency/auxiliary boot
disk. And didn't see it as an advantage, that grub doesn't make you
re-write the boot strap ("lilo -b target" / "grub-install target") when
you make configuration changes because I always liked to test the new
configuration with a boot floppy before committing my primary mbr to it.

With grub, If I goofed the grub.conf so bad that I couldn't get back in,
then the emergency/auxiliary boot floppy couldn't help, so maybe they
didn't think the option worth keeping. But in duel boots the MOST likely
trashing IMHO of the boot loader is the overwriting of the mbr. And in
that case...

Still, it may be a moot point to me anyway. If I don't find a solution
soon that lets grub actually boot my DrDos (/dev/hdc1) which lilo "can"
still boot, I'll be regulating grub to a floppy boot system anyway, And
use the "menu" enabled version of lilo from my mandrake 9.1 to maintain
my primary mbr bootloader... (sigh, I wanted to use grub for forward
compatibility, but losing dos, is less acceptable than losing windows
would be)

> Am Di, den 01.06.2004 schrieb Joe(theWordy)Philbrook um 07:41:
> > 2) In case I must depend on the rescue mode sometime, Will it be able to
> > find the right linux installation on a system with
> > FC2, FC1, MDK9.1, SuSE 7.3, Win98se, AND Dr Dos on it. Or would the
> > following partition tables confuse it
> > [...]

It would appear that on Jun 1, Peter Boy did say:
> The Red Hat rescue mode used to scan the harddisk(s) and to present a
> list of linux systems it found. You can choose which one to deal with. I
> have three different Linux distros installed here (and there is a
> Windows and an OS/2 partition as well) and never had any problems with
> the rescue mode.

Whereas I, since before bootable cd's were the installation norm rather
than boot/root floppy disk pairs, have never needed to fall back on a
"rescue mode" boot system. I've always been able to simply boot a
different linux to do any manual surgery or even run fdisk in manual
mode (in my case from a script) Which has the advantage that all my
personal preferences, short cuts, notes, ~/.* configs AND root scripts
are all immediately available... Now if there was a utility that let a
non-expert make a customized rescue disk by superimposing the current
passwd file(s), /boot, /root, and maybe /home onto a bootable copy of the
rescue cd, I'd burn a lot of them... (heck I'd settle for getting my
~/.vimrc, and one personal help text file inserted into the effective
/root dir

As it is I figure that if rescue mode works as well as I've heard, then
just knowing there is such a boot option from disk 1 of an FC set is
enough. Given sufficient time, I'd make do with a bare # prompt.

Thank you for the kind info and the reassurance that the rescue mode IS
a viable fall-back option.

- --
|   ---   ___
|   <0>   <->	   Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|	^		J(tWdy)P
|    ~\___/~	     <<jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>>

But if I actually knew everything, then I'd know I was an idiot...

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #