Topics about VIA VT8235 and Realtek 8139 devices

Thanks for your posting about sound on the motherboard. I have the same setup and of course no sound. Not being Alain Cox could you please give more clear details on how to get sound and get rid of the problem. Like just where exactly in the modprobe.conf do I put the "index= etc line. And just what are duplicate lines? Thanks in advance, John Brennan-Sardou.