Re: Problems forwarding X over ssh

Jack Bowling wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 02:21:47PM -0700, Aaron Matteson wrote:

Peter W Beninate became daring and sent these 0.5K bytes,

William Hooper wrote:

Michael Marsh said:

Really strange.... but it seems like it is sort of
working... just not forwarding what I would
get if I were physically sitting at the terminal.

This has never been how X forwarding works. Perhaps you are confusing it
with VNC?

I have heard of people tunneling X through ssh, but have never done it myself.

I do this all the time like so:

ssh -CX username@host application

But i generally just open up a terminal and ssh to the host and enter
the application name, example. gedit and it is forwarded to my local
machine.

With the proviso that the host must have permission to attach to your box,
otherwise the connection will be denied.

There is one thing that was not explained in any of the documentation I was able to find for doing that.
I had already checked all the settings on the host and was able to get ssh to work but the -X option never gave me the forwarding as expected.

I use cygwin at work on a Win2K box to connect and had fought this off and on for several days. Then, even though not stated explicitly anywhere I found, I decided to "startx" on the cygwin client before doing the "ssh -XC username@host". That was the final piece, and it works now flawlessly.