Re: Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Dan Haines wrote:

I dont get it.

If youre planning on building a house, you need to research how to do it
properly.

If youre planning on getting a drivers license, in most cases, you need
to research how to do it properly.

If youre planning on dual booting, you need to research how to do it
properly.

If these people had researched dual booting, they would have EASILY
found documentation stating that after you apply FC to an already
Windozed machine, you need to edit your bootloader (grub in most cases)
to tell it where Windoze lives.

Youre totally right Marcus.  People just need to be friendly, and
helpful, and give answers when a poor little newbie comes to the list
begging for help with his dual boot machine.  Alot of people start using
linux every day, if the first thing they get when they need help is BAD
attitudes, then thats not going to be helpful for the community, is it?

But in saying that, those people also need to have a clue, and do a bit
of research first.

Bravo Dan!

The frequent attitude of "Please guide me, I am helpless" is exactly what I personally feel is at fault with most of the 'bad attitude' responses people get here.

Overall most of the users on this list do (at least some) research and then ask a specific question that is relatively easy to answer. Those who do nothing to help themselves and still ask where the door is, are the ones who cause the bad attitude responses. I feel that anyone asking a question on *any* mailing list should follow your guidelines and do some advance planning and research on their own. In most cases they can find the answer already given in an earlier discussion, and would cut down dramatically on the clutter here.

In defense of those whose attitudes seem bad to some, It is very tiring and frustrating to see the same question asked and answered repeatedly, sometimes several times a week. Compare this list to a school. Does the teacher answer every question? NO, they guide the student to finding the answer. This is what we should be doing, NOT providing *all* the answers for no effort from the one who asks.

Although I want the Linux community to grow, and make a signifigant cut into the profits of the monopolist, I want it to do so without breaking the willingness to give of the many who support our community. Whiners and cryers who fail to take responsibility and make a personal effort can do that.