Re: Upgrade vs Install

Florin Andrei wrote:

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 15:09, Jeff Vian wrote:

I find it amusing that most of those who did the new install are absent from the discussion (at least with problems), but those who chose to do an upgrade are flooding this list.

Indeed.

Install from scratch whenever possible. It's the best opportunity to get
rid of the inevitable entropy.

Upgrade is a last-resort-only solution: if there _really_ is no way
around, then... well, accept the risks of getting fanged by some piece
of junk forgotten on the hard-drive.

Yup, I did a completely fresh install. Kept a copy of /home and /etc before the install. After install I copied select files and folders from /home, merged entry in some .conf files from /etc and re-installed add-on software (like mplayer and xine). Within a total elapsed time of about 2 hours I was completely back up and running to where I was before. Probably the fastest OS re-install of my life. Now to do the intranet server and the internet server.

BTW, I love FC2. The OS is running flawlessly and pretty fast on my AMD XP1700+ with 512MB of RAM.

Luc Bouchard