Re: XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Because it's no longer completely open source, which defies the purpose of Linux and GNU.

Michael Robinson
mrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.fuzzymuzzle.com

William M. Quarles wrote:

James Jones wrote:

William M. Quarles wrote:

Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over XFree86 for Fedora Core 2, and WHY?

I also LOVE (sorry, I was sarcastic, DESPISE) this item in the Release Notes for FC 2:
"This release is a merger of the previous official X11R6 release, XFree86 4.4.0rc2, and additionally includes a number of updates"
1. XFree86 4.4.0rc2 was not a release (hence the rc, "release candidate")
2. It's not like XFree86 4.4 didn't come out.
3. What is that made XFree86 no longer official? Because some corporate bubbleheads decided to get together, swipe another organizations code and pose it as their own? Please.

Perhaps you didn't notice the HUGE brouhaha over XFree86's licensing change with XFree86 4.4; 4.4.0 rc2 was the last under the old license. The new liccense is incompatible with GPL, and several Linux distributions have decided to no longer use XFree86 because of that. The ones that I recall are Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, and Gentoo.

   James Jones

I noticed, I still don't understand what the big deal is. Let's keep everything on list though, OK?