Subject: Re: Fedora Core 2 - review.

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:15:45AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:

As Fedora does not include multimedia tools that people are used to in Windows, it could be a problem. Licensing issues aside, new users coming from the Windows world will be quickly frustrated due to this.

A simple method to upgrade to a full multimedia package needs to be looked at. Even in business, multimedia is now required to view various advertising or product information packages. This must not be via searches and multiple WWW sites but a single site with possibly a single click. A WWW link on the desktop to an offshore (outside US if required) to a setup/install script for multimedia access.

It should be as easy as "yum install multimedia".

How about the "Fedora Multimedia Installation HOWTO" on tldp.org?

<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/>

I admit it's not a one click solution, but it does a lot more than just MP3s, and DVDs. It also explains a lot of the underlying
issues as to why this software isn't included in the OS. I'm pretty
sure not everything will work with FC2, but I think the general idea is good.

I agree it should be easier, but I'm also a bit annoyed with people
who think everything should work like Windows right out of the box. Why not just use Mandrake? =)

I am a windows user for many years and have recently explored Linux. I installed Fedora core 1 as a dual boot and am very impressed with it. I have almost gotten it to work the way I do with Windows and have considered using it as my main OS. Then, along came Fedora core 2 and all of the problems people have encountered dual booting with Windows and with the various software and license issues, etc. I have been reading this List for sometime and must say that I am very disappointed with the responses given to Windows users that are encountering problems with core 2 or are comparing it to their experience with Windows.

I agree it should be easier, but I'm also a bit annoyed with people
who think everything should work like Windows right out of the box. Why not just use Mandrake? =)

Why should a response like this even be necessary? Linux is different than Windows period, Unfortunately for the Linux community, 90% of the world runs Windows. So if you want to really promote Fedora to a major segment of computer users, you will have to help Windows users with their problems they encounter with a new operating system, instead of offering sarcasm. Or, maybe we will use Mandrake. =)

Mark