Re: XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Scott Talbot wrote:
On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:29, William M. Quarles wrote:

Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over
XFree86 for Fedora Core 2, and WHY?

I also LOVE (sorry, I was sarcastic, DESPISE) this item in the
Release Notes for FC 2: "This release is a merger of the previous
official X11R6 release, XFree86 4.4.0rc2, and additionally includes
a number of updates" 1. XFree86 4.4.0rc2 was not a release (hence
the rc, "release candidate")

even Betas are releases because the authors release them.

Uh, no they aren't, but let's agree to disagree and move on to more important topics.

2. It's not like XFree86 4.4 didn't come out.

Did you read the license? I thought not

Yes, I have read it. Have you read the rest of this thread? I thought not? More like definitely not. I'd appreciate it if you would do that before saying anything else about the license, we've discussed it thoroughly.

3. What is that made XFree86 no longer official?  Because some
corporate bubbleheads decided to get together, swipe another
organizations code and pose it as their own?  Please.

Corporate? no way! Bubbleheads? not for me to say. In any event you'll find that none of the majors are releasing new distros with xfree86 due to the change in their license. You are free to download and install any software you choose though, it's your dime.

I thought Fedora Core was going to be less corporate and more open
now that Red Hat is no longer making Red Hat Linux.  Apparently
that isn't the case.  If things keep going this way, I'm going to
find another distribution.  I certainly am not going to "upgrade to
Fedora Core 2." Good luck to all of you braving the frontiers of
the 2.6 kernel, too.

Peace, William

Red Hat never said that they intended to change anything and didn't
stop making Red Hat (though they call it Enterprise)They are also
legally responsible for Fedora, so expect them to be more circumspect
than some other distros.

Red Hat Linux is a specific product that is no longer available. Red Hat (or it's founders) already made Red Hat (Inc.), they've been Red Hat for like 12 years now. Per several e-mails that I received from Red Hat, Inc. (emphasis added):

Dear giovanet,

Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.

This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
migration to another Red Hat solution.

Dear Red Hat Linux user,

We are approaching the published **end of life** date for errata
support for our **final Red Hat Linux distribution.**  We'd like to
remind you of this date and the options available to you for
migrating your Red Hat Linux implementations: Red Hat Enterprise
Linux and the Fedora Project.

So yes, Red Hat Linux is gone. Please stop incorrectly correcting me and go read the rest of the thread. After that, I welcome further discussion on the topic, because I don't understand what all of the hooplah is about regarding the license.

Peace,
William