Re: XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 21:13, William M. Quarles wrote:
> James Jones wrote:
> > Perhaps you didn't notice the HUGE brouhaha over XFree86's licensing
> > change with XFree86 4.4; 4.4.0 rc2 was the last under the old
> > license.
>
> Actually, you just made me think of something: perhaps X.org's
> republishing* of the XFree86 4.4.0rc2 code was what prompted the license
> change.
>
> *(borderline stealing, a.k.a. nearly violating the "You can do what you
> like with the code except claim you wrote it" clause)
----
You know, if I completely didn't understand the concept of GPL/BSD type
licenses, project forking and the reasons and suitability for forking, I
would probably keep my mouth shut to hide the fact that I was too
ignorant to discuss these issues intelligently but hey, that's just the
way I am.

Craig