Re: XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

At 19:29 5/20/2004, William M. Quarles wrote:
Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over XFree86 for Fedora Core 2, and WHY?

Because someone made the not-very-bright decision of changing XFree86's license, and the new, more-restrictive license was found not to meet the objectives and principles of the Fedora Project. If you don't like it, I suggest you actually investigate the issue and constructively propose a different course of action. Ranting on this list will not get you anything, really.

I thought Fedora Core was going to be less corporate and more open now that Red Hat is no longer making Red Hat Linux. Apparently that isn't the case.

Even my own *very primitive* reading of the old and new XFree86 licenses indicates that it is the license which is becoming less open. Fedora is demanding openness. Yet you complain that Fedora is not open enough and find no problem with the license for XFree86 being changed. I'd appreciate some more detail (and some less ranting and some more reasoning) on your position... at this point, although I'm certainly no expert, I don't grok you.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com