Re: Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

Jon Shorie wrote:
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 15:25, Gene Heskett wrote:

Instead I ran it as an ATI Radeon 7500 and it works well (including 3d acceleration) except for some minor artifacting occassionally.

At work, I currently have 6 linux desktops with ATI cards in them (Radeon 7000 and Rage 128 Pro) as well as 10 servers with ATI cards. All are running either Redhat or Fedora Core 1 or 2. They all work very well.

At home, I have a Fedora Core 1 box with a radeon 7000 in it. It works extremely well. My main use on this is to play Loki games such as Civilization Call To Power, Railroad Tycoon, Alpha Centauri as well as basic internet apps such as web browsing and email.

I do not have any problems with the graphics on any of these games.

All of the systems at either home or work are running the open source driver.

You keep talking about older ATI cards. The point is an ATI 7500 that I have at work, works great. Support within XFree86. Newer Radeon cards are only supported in 2d (in January). Have you tried to play a 3d game at 1 frame per sec or slower? This is the problem, no 3d accelleration.

3 weeks of fighting with the ATI drivers only to find in a obscure link that 3d wasn't supported even in the 3d driver.

Believe me, I didn't want to throw a brand new video card away. I fought and fought trying to get it to work. I couldn't even play movies on the computer due to the video drivers. ATI even pointed to an opensource DRI site that did not support the chipset in the 9600. I now have a 9600 card that I am trying to get rid of. But I am enjoying full 3d and can watch movies will surfing the web.

-- Robin Laing