Re: Secure entry into remote systems

Edward wrote:

I've used ssh locally before, and that is really simple to set up, but because of the open hole I'll be creating my question is really: Should I be learning about setting up VPN tunnels into their systems instead?

I may be a bit naive, but I've always assumed that ssh was relatively secure (I know of several businesses and universities that leave SSH servers open to the net at large). I know several Microsoft-y VPN implementations have known security issues (e.g. PPTP), so I tend to trust them a bit less. Although I'm sure there are very secure open source VPN solutions out there.

I set up Poptop last year:

http://www.poptop.org/

It's a PPTP server. I remember it being hard to set up though...required a hard-to-build kernel module, and uses a modified version of pppd to serve incoming VPN connections. I seem to recall googling a bit though and finding RPMS or SRPMS that could be used with Fedora core.

Also because of the nature of the way it authenticates (challenge/response) Poptop can't use PAM, so you are stuck using chap-secrets.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy