Re: seeding question

At 14:57 5/18/2004, Dwaine Castle wrote:
I am using an XP Pro system to run BitTorrent.  I tried several sites over
the last 24 hours, but never achieved more than 5-20 KB/s with uploads in
the 40-60 KB/s range.

FWIW, this is common for me. After letting it run a while it evens out, though, and the downloads pick up a lot. Especially if you open a few (five or so) ports for incoming, which is the Nice Thing To Do anyway.

Once I get the DVD iso verified, I would like to set my system
up as a seed to help other people.  Can you tell me how I can
set that up?

Just act like you are going to download it all over again, and point BitTorrent to the already completed file as its destination. BT will want to download the whole thing again and will first checksum the whole thing to find out which parts are missing. When it finds out that nothing is missing and that the file is complete, it will happily continue uploading to others but will not need to download at all.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com