Re: Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

At 12:20 5/18/2004, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:36:53 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. I got a nice machine (Athlon XP 2200+, 256MB, 40GB, eth, modem,
> cd, GeForce MX 400, 19" LG 900B monitor, UPS) for $400 from a friend

You had to decide for yourself if the immediate cost saving
outweighed the downside of going with a closed-source provider.

I had no money for anything else at that time. No computer, or that computer. Tough choice, eh?

>          4. I will now happily use this *working* system to do work,
> including promote Linux as fully-functional and as-good-or-better than
> Windows for my office. I will use it in many other ways beneficial to my
> happiness, my pocketbook, and the Open Source movement.

but you don't disagree with the underlying economic principles do you?

Hell, no.

But in an ideal situation you would
get to promote the open source movement with open source software
instead of closed source software right ?

Hell, yes.

Sure.   but a better sollution would be if the hardware manufacturer
provided a open source driver and that's what my comments were
about.   Purchasing hardware from them anyway, rewards them
for closed source offerings.

Agreed, when you have that choice. When getting free or second-hand stuff (donations to charity or low-income schools is another example, and I handle quite a bit of that), you sometimes have to take what is given to you. Then the first thing is to make it work. The second thing is how to make it work better in the future, and I also agree that in the long run open-source will be better. Of course any little thing each of us can do to test it, use it, improve it, and promote it will make "better" arrive sooner... just that in the meantime, I am not going to (for example) leave a small school without computers because someone donated hardware without open-source drivers.

>          6. I have already complained loudly to NVIDIA about their drivers
> being closed. I have made it clear that this *will* be major factor in
> future purchases.

Nothing is louder than dollar votes :o)

Exactly my point.

Not suggesting zealotry.   Just talking about leveraging market principles for
something we both agree is a desired outcome.

Certainly what *you* posted here is not zealotry... however, back up a day or two for my entertaining little spat with Rui, who claims NVIDIA cheats me, treats me like a criminal, and imposes outrageous conditions on their license. And that was the reasonable part of his discussion.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com