Re: Question about virtual System

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:30 , Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> sent:
>Sébastien Bisoglio wrote:
>> John Hearns wrote:

>>> User Mode Linux

>> Thanks but Have you more info than this ? It is official ? Included
>> into the Fedora Core 1 ?
>>
>As I understand it, you are asking how to set up virtual web hosting.
>This involves several things, from IP addresses to DNS to config of
>apache.
>All the tools for this are in FC1, but the knowledge will need to be
>collected and used.
>
>Try googleing for that and also ask on the apache lists for assistance.
> It can  be a bit complex since it will involve several admin areas.
Hello
I give below the setup I have done on my stand-alone machine running FC1:
1.Assign a name for the machine you need to configure as a virtual host by adding
the following entry in /etc/hosts file or DNS config file as the case may be :
         172.16.0.62     www.private.com   private
2.Open and edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and add the following entries under
Section 3: Virtual Hosts :
NameVirtualHost 172.16.0.62:80
<VirtualHost 172.16.0.62>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/private
ServerName www.private.com
<Directory /var/www/html/private>
Options none
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
The actual IP needs to be substituted for the one given above.
3. #mkdir /var/www/html/private and place your private web page under the
directory "private" (as I chose to name it).
4.Create a file by name ".htaccess" under the "private" directory and place the
following entries :
                   AuthName "Private Page"
                   AuthUserFile /var/www/html/private/htpasswd
                   require valid-user
5.Execute  the following command to create a "htpasswd" for a particular user:
                   # htpasswd -cm /var/www/html/private/htpasswd <username>
The "c" prefix is  required only to create the file htpasswd the first
time.Further additions to "htpasswd" could be done with only "-m" for individual
users to access the "private page".
The above configurations work well on my PC and 'www.private.com' on my mozilla
location bar brings up the "private" page.In case of any problem do mail back
even if it be to my mail ID.
Have good luck
Murali

---- Msg sent via Spymac Mail - http://www.spymac.com