Nothing but problems with grub and Fedora Core

Hey all,

I have had nothing but problems installing Fedora Core, and the issues seem to center around grub installing on top of an existing Lilo installation. On one system there were grub files missing from /boot/grub. On another system I got "try passing init= to the kernel". On another system the grub.conf file refuses to boot up Windows XP on a second disk. On yet another machine I'm getting compression errors while booting the kernel. If I leave Lilo intact on my laptop, the screen turns psychodelic when Lilo comes up.

Grub has never worked for me, when I can even get it to install properly. Is there a trick to making this work? This is REALLY frustrating!

-- John