Re: Routing and bandwidth problem

At 10:01 5/9/2004, Kent Borg wrote:
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:32:53AM -0700, Jay Scherrer wrote:
> Thus it reduces the nic's down to two: one for the wan and one for
> the lan.

Why two?  Can't one handle both?  The server routes between different
networks, but one wire can handle multiple networks.

It is extremely unwise to firewall using only one interface, for several reasons. I will admit that I do not fully understand all of them, but on the common sense level: if you want to protect your network from the BBI (Big Bad Internet [tm]), you certainly don't want "outside" and "inside" to be on the same wire. Just too high a probability of errors and an increased probability of snooping, sniffing, or other nasty behavior.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com