Re: OT: New low for Microsoft!

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:39:55 -0700, lwj <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 07:26, d l wrote:
Internet Exploder is just a warper for those explorer
DLLs.
It don't really do much by itself. Removing those dll will
severly cripples explorer; tree view, side panel, quick
launch and may other things will just dies.

<snip>

They are no more a part of Internet
explorer than they are a part of any other application.

Further, Filters are not applications. Many were not even originally
written by Microsoft but other companies. Anyone can replace these
filters with there own and assuming they included the same bugs as the
filters shipped with Windows they would work fine.

The point is that these things are NOT deeply integrated with the
operating system.

<snip>

Just for your interest and proof of concept you ought to try '98lite" or "XP/2000lite" on your MS Windows machines. I've been using it for about 5 years - and its worth every penny of the price (~$40 US). It cuts down the size of Win98 to about 300MB and allows you to remove all the garbage - including IE. Then I put up Opera for a browser on both Linux and the Windows boxes. If you have W9x up on any machine there is a free download of a program to strip out IE. Try it you'll like it.

	http://litepc.com/

Bob Jones