Re: Kernel Compilation Issues

rnissley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm attempting to re-build the kernel with some options I want
(netfilter/iptables). I did "make mrproper" and then reloaded my configs from a
file saved earlier, so the source directory should be clean.
The compilation runs for some time and then bombs. I get 7 undefined reference
errors (all ACPI related) similar to

arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o(.text.init+0x5328): In function `acpi_parse_lapic':
: undefined reference to `acpi_table_print_madt_entry'

and then

make[1]: *** [kallsyms] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2

None of the ACPI options are enabled in my kernel config. I even manually edited
a line in .config because I couldn't find a way to turn it off using the config
tools:

CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=n

I'm guessing that might actually break something important, but I gave it a shot.

Any answers/suggestions?

Kernel build sequence:

	1.  "cd /usr/src/linux"

	2.  "make mrproper"

	3.  Copy over your config to "/usr/src/linux/.config"

	4a. If you wish to make more tweaks,
		"make xconfig" or
		"make menuconfig"

	4b. If you AREN'T making any other tweaks:
		"make oldconfig" <<<--- CRITICAL!

	5.  "make dep"  <<<--- ALSO CRITICAL!

	6.  "make bzImage"

	7.  "make modules"

	8.  "make install modules_install"
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -