Re: setup mail server

Well, I want to setup the mail server from the FC1 system, just as experiment for my work, so that everybody can checkmail, recieve mail, sendmail,....from their own windows PC. I also like to have the spam checker functionality, and also do mail backup everynight. My plan is that, but right now, I need a good start which I have no clue. Ahhhh, I went to sendmail.org, but it doesn't exactly show how to setup mail server. I'm a brand newbies :(

sorry forget to mention that I'm using IMAP SMTP

Sendmail handles SMTP, and Fedora includes a generic IMAP server as well (I don't remember who makes it...dove something, I think).

Sendmail's configuration files are in "/etc/mail". The main configuration file is "/etc/mail/sendmail.mc". It's fairly well-commented, so that should provide a decent start. FYI the lines starting with "dnl" are commented out.

The default sendmail configuration should do relaying from 127.0.0.1. If you want your users to be able to send mail, you basically have two options:

   * allow mail to be relayed from a certain set of IP addresses (most
     ISPs do something like this)
   * force users to authenticate themselves before they're allowed to
     relay mail

I could go into a fair amount of depth with regard to either of these options, but it would take too much time. I think the comments in "sendmail.mc" and the documentation at "sendmail.org" will give you a solid start though.

There should be almost zero configuration for IMAPd. Install it ("yum install imapd"), enable it at boot time (with "ntsysv", for example), and your users should be able to log in. Easy as pie.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jeremy