Re: How to block Kazaa; NIS authentication

Artur Sampaio wrote:

Hi everyone...
I have installed a small network for a client. It was composed by a
server and 3 clients running FC1, and a client running Win2k.
I have 3 questions:

1) The W2k user insist in use kazaa, that was prohibited from
enterprise's owner.....I wish to block the port of kazaa on the server
(iptables??). someone knows how?
2) I wish to use NIS to manage users from the server. It is possible
that the W2k authenticate with NIS?
3) How to make the home's user the same on any machine that's he use?
(NFS? samba?)

Finally, i wish to congratulate all the list. Here i'm learn more than
on any manual, tutorial and so on....

Thanks in advice

(sorry for my english.... i'm still learning... )

Artur José Ferro Sampaio
São Carlos - SP - BR

Arthur,
I dont know the especific details on the implementation of each of those things I'll say , but you may find some info in the manuals..
So , let's go to the questions...
1) No idea.. Maybe some tweaking on iptables can block it (as long as you manage to block the first part of the connection , you're fine.. some time ago , our network allowed the user to connect to the kazaa network , but when you tried to dl any file , you'd get nothing... )
2) You can use NIS and samba to do this job... It doesnt matter if the machine running samba is the NIS server or the NIS client.. I remmember seeing something on the samba manual about windows authentication using samba
3) Depends.. For windows , use samba.. you can easily configure the home directory to be acessible for each user (I believe it's one of the samples commented in the samba config file)... For linux , use NFS... Export the /home directory on the server and mount it on /home in each of the clients..

--
Pedro Macedo

--
Pedro Macedo