Re: Users, groups and directory access

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:40:01AM +0200, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

It still doesn't work. However, I checked the group membership of john after applying "gpasswd -a john proj" and -- even after exit and creating a new terminal -- the command "groups" does not show proj. It only shows john as group, while f.i. root has a whole bunch of groups.

Hmmm. What do you mean exit and creating a new terminal? He's going to need
to log all the way out -- a whole new session.

Well, I thought an exit from a terminal was enough (ignorant, I know). When I change /etc/profile it usually is. I found out it is not. When I logged off from X and thus created a new session, it worked.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)