Re: rpm upgrades segfaulting FC1

Panu Matilainen wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Brian Hankins wrote:

I am having some trouble with rpm upgrades, while installing new packages works fine. This is what I see when running this:
# rpm -Uvh package.rpm
Segfault

There is a backstory to this actually. One day I was running the upgrades as normal through the graphical up2date tool, and I upgraded something like 6 packages at once. This was about a month and a half ago when openssl needed an update. When I rebooted, all kinds of stuff began segfaulting after some research and straces we ended up forcing a reinstall of the openssl package(just trying to ssh into another machine was segfaulting as well). After that everything seemed to be working well, except for rpm which segfaults everytime I try to upgrade a package, which is hindering me from updating the system. I had something like this happen in an older version of redhat so I used:
# rpm --rebuilddb

I was still running into the same issue, and I went to deleted the db files:
# rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*

The problem still happens, so I grabbed the rpm of rpm from the install cd and upgraded it with: "rpm -Uvh --force" which ends up displaying the status hashes like its installing, but segfaults after that point. I could not find anything beneficial in my investigation in the logs or and strace of running rpm, granted I am not an expert on it. I would appreciate any suggestions, or help on a fix or workaround, or what else I need to look for. Thanks alot.

The rpm binary is quite unlikely to be corrupt, reinstalling package doesn't typically "fix it" on Linux :)

There's probably something corrupt in the rpmdb, if --rebuilddb doesn't cure it then you can try the alternative method:

Take a backup:
# cd /var/lib
# tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm

Do a basic verify of the packages db:
# cd /var/lib/rpm
# /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages

Repair it:
# mv Packages Packages-ORIG
# /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump Packages-ORIG | /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_load Packages

See if it worked:
# rpm -qa

If that works ok then rebuild indices:
# rpm --rebuilddb
.and you should be ready to go. If it still segfaults file a bug to bugzilla.

	- Panu -

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I am not ready to try the rescue CD suggestion yet as this is a production webserver that I can not bring down at the moment, however I did try Panu's suggestion. It did not fix my problem in this instance however, but I thank you and will be submitting a bug on this. For anyone who reads this thread later, the tools Panu mentions are in the rpm-devel package. Thanks again.

--
Brian Hankins