Re: Users, groups and directory access

David L Norris wrote:
# create proj group
groupadd proj

# make an administrator own the root dir. paul.proj is also fine...
chown -R root.proj /project

# make permissions inherit to children...
chmod g+rwxs /project

# root can change john's group membership like this
usermod -G proj john

# which should be equivalent to this but I've had trouble with it gpasswd -a john proj

# in theory, this would make Paul proj's administrator
gpasswd -A paul proj

# to verify john was added where he belongs: grep john /etc/groups

Hi David,

Your answer did it: it works!

However, because I had done both the usermod-thing and the gpasswd-thing, I'm not sure whether one or both work correctly: the logoff did it (I had to logoff from X though).

Thanks for your instructive mail.
Still not a sysadmin, but at least I start to understand groups.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)