Re: TurboTax Replacement (was: Quicken Replacement )

From: Mike Jang <michael@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: TurboTax Replacement (was: Quicken Replacement )
While this is getting off-topic, it's based on a key issue for the Linux
desktop.

Speaking of personal finance software, I gather Bruce Perens who was
quoted recently as saying he still has a Microsoft Windows computer for
Quicken and TurboTax.

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5202145.html?tag=nefd.pop

I don't think GNUCash really cuts it, but I recognize there are people
working on the Quicken compatibility / feature issue. However, I don't
hear any mention of (U.S.) Tax software.

Is there anything on the horizon for a Linux port or some GNU substitute
for TurboTax? Or do people here who no longer use MS Windows just do
their taxes with a pencil (or an accountant who probably uses MS
Windows)?

I think this is the last big unscratched itch before Linux can seriously
penetrate the consumer desktop market.

I still use turbotax for my personal tax reporting but use the web version so no compat. issues with my choice of OS. I know some are using turbotax/quicken/quickbooks w/ wine or crossover office as well.

I'm trying a quarter (or two) of gnucash my business accounting with gnucash but strongly suspect I'll either:
1. create appropriate mysql dbs for my purposes
<or more likely>
2. Bite the bullet and use quickbooks pro for the business since the benefit of prefilled forms/efiling outweighs the few hundred dollars cost of QB pro + crossover office - at least when I could be spending the hours used to tweak a DB/gnucash to deal with state/federal/state sales tax vs. using that time to umm... actually do *business* and/or generate *more* revenue.
YMMV

Bests

Jon