Re: Old farts and new Linux

John Nichel írta:
T. Ribbrock wrote:

Well, I got the impression that especially the (technical) folks who are
30-40 now have more of a tendency to know what computers actually *are*.
I'm 35 now and "my generation" was the one that started off on VIC20s (I
did), Sinclairs or even self-built Z80/6502 machines. Most of us would
have gotten their hands dirty on assembler at some point and also would
have been used to the command line right from the start. The younger
folks seem to be spoiled by the "GUI-it-all" virus that spread later...
;-) As such, especially the technical folks my age seem to have the
openess and knowledge needed to try other stuff.

Cheerio,

Thomas (first Unix experience 1991 at university, Linux user since RHL4.1
        - I think 1997)

Happy days of assembler... I scared my parents by writing an IRQ handler for the vertical retrace interrupt on my Sinclair - inverted the screen colors at every 1/50 second. :-)

I have made my assembler teacher to almost blush
by writing smarter and shorter routines (that did the
same as his) before my classmates.
Some of them were self-trained in assembly on different
microcomputers, too, before getting into the university.

I am only 31, have met Linux in 1993 - SLS distro (0.99 kernel)
then Slackware then RedHat 4.2(? I don't remember)
I am happy that I stuck with RedHat and saw it evolving.

Back when your friends thought you were cool for....

10 ECHO "Hello John";

Hm, that was PRINT. You must have forgot your BASIC skills. :-) Some kids have been joking on me in the primary school reading a BASIC manual - the hungarian word for f*ck sounds slightly similar. :-D

20 GOTO 10
RUN

I remember giving advices for the clueless such as:

10 NEW

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi