Re: Correct way to mount Win2k3 shares with Samba?

Subject: Re: Correct way to mount Win2k3 shares with Samba? From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 00:19:45 -0700

To:
For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 23:39, Edward wrote:

> Most of the networks I've setup that had Samba file servers were small
> and didn't have domain controllers. So there would be a preston:password
> entry on the server and on my desktop and every time I'd request a
> resource from the server by virtue of the fact that I'd logged in with
> preston:password to my desktop, the server would receive those same
> credentials, see I was good and give me permission to read/write, etc. I
> think what's happening here is that I'm not authenticating against the
> domain. My machine is in the domain now. I can mount the shares. But
> once the shares are mounted and I try to write, for example, I'm not
> passing along to the domain controller that I'm preston and here's my
> password.
> > Hopefully that makes sense.
> > Preston

What version of Samba are you running? Bugzilla is showing a heap of W2K3 bugs with some versions of samba.

From just searching and reading, I'm getting the feeling you're not actually doing anything wrong, but that it is a Samba issue, not yours.

Regards,
Ed.

That would make me feel better. Because I feel like I have a good grasp on Samba, so thus the reason this is so puzzling. I believe I'm using 3.0.2-7.

Preston

The fact that you mount the remote share at all means you are authenticating - be it the correct credentials or not. I've lost the original thread - what is the syntax of the command you are using to mount?

neil