Re: SCO: GPL not unconstitutional

Guy,

  The chances of the GPL being declared unconstitutional under US law is about as close to zero as one can get.

  5 Points:

1) The Constitution does NOT require Congress to have a patent law, it only give it the power to create one if it so desires.

Article 1, Section 8 says "The Congress shall have the power . . .  To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

2)  Congress can set the parameters of the that law in any way that does not violate other provisions of the Constitution. I can see no provisions in the present Copyright law that says only items written for profit are protected (as a matter of fact, there are many provisions that say just the opposite)

3)  The GPL is a contract freely entered into by those that publish their works under it. The provisions of the GPL are outlined in publically available documents.

4)  If you choose to avail yourself of GPL- licensed software, you MUST accept the provisions of that contract. However, you are not compelled to use GPL-licensed software - you can always write your own that performs the equiv. function.

5) Given the 4 items above, I see no reason why any court could claim that the GPL is at conflict with the present Copyright laws of the US.

Now let me add I am NOT a lawyer, but I have spoken with my cousin, who IS an IP attorney, and he agress with my line of reasoning. SCO's problem with the GPL is they believe that the profit motive should be the ONLY "safe harbor" under which software should be protected. Case law is not on their side.

Bottom line: the whole SCO "thing" is a full- face attempt at extortion, both of companies like IBM and the user community.

BTW, when is someone going to sue Microslime for their numerous and on-going violations of the GPL?

Regards,
  Bill Bowen
  Sacramento, CA