Re: Help > nVidia on FC 2, test 3

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:29:36 -0700 (PDT), Doug Robson <cdrobsonjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kind helpers,

I just upgraded to Fedora Core 2, Test 3 and then
tried the nVidia
installer using the --add-this-kernel, followed by
*custom.run.
Everything seemed to run to completion without error.
But when I booted up to run level 5 (graphic mode), as
soon
as the optical mouse light lit, normally the time when
I get the
nVidia splash screen alerting the successful starting
of X and the gdm,
all I get is a black screen. The computer is hung at
this point.
Ctl-Alt-Backspace will not yield a text login prompt.
Only a
hardware reset will unfreeze the CPU.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will only restart the X server - and if it's crashed this wont enable anything. Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to F6) will get you to the login prompt and there you can start tinkering.

Regards,
Daniel.