Re: The easiest way to migrate to another (bigger) hard drive?

Rick Stevens wrote:

Or (on the existing system):

    # cd /
    # tar cvpP -x /dev -x /proc -f /dev/st0 *

And on the new system, install the the system and

    # tar xvpPkf /dev/st0

It's clunky, but it works--assuming the new system is already bootable.

Yup. Sure is.

Hi Rick,

This may actually work..

Just one issue unless I am missing something..

In the restore you used a "k" option to keep existing files and not overwrite them.. Does this mean that for example all the existing files in /etc would not be restored? which would mean all user accounts and custom settings would not be available on the new drive.. Also all logs /var/log/* would not be restored either..

I guess they would have to be restored manually.. :(

Later..