Re: howto mirror fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/core with rsync

neilcuk@xxxxxxx wrote:

duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt/apt-mirror/

well, i wanted to have the latest updates available within 24 hours, so
(on my home server) i wrote a quickie script, apt-mirror.  it's not
complete yet, but it'll work for you.

if you guy shave any questions, let me know.

-d

Sean Kennedy said:

That's a damn shame. Anybody know how/where to get a reliable
mirror? Any recommendations?

-+(duncan brown -+(duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
evidence of the fact.
-- George Eliot

here's something I put together using rsync. It's not very pretty - but it works fine for my needs. I just have it run every night.
I use an exclude file because I don't like receiving the kernel via this method. All messages go to STDOUT - which is fine because I have this run via a cron job.
Hope it can be of use to you :-)
neil.

#!/bin/sh
cd /your/updates/path
MIRROR=rsync.mirror.ac.uk
MIRRORPATH=download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

MIRROROPTS=' -avz --delete --exclude-from=myexcludefile'

echo -n -e "${TCYAN}(Slowly) Mirroring updates ${TNORM}"

rsync $MIRROROPTS rsync://$MIRROR/$MIRRORPATH $UPDDIR
if [ $? != 0 ] ; then
  echo
  echo -e "${TRED}Mirroring failed for some reason!"
  failure
fi
#success
#done

whoops - I wiped the UPDDIR=/your/updates/dir variable on posting. This is because rsync likes a 'to' path. This should be in place of cd /your/update/path. (I've mangled this script so many times to do different things it kinda got lost in translation %-))

neil.