Archiving mail after a period of time

Hello all.

I'm running procmail to sort my incoming mail into different mailboxes
(pretty much the standard use for procmail!).

I'd like to start archiving mail from these mailboxes after a certain period
(perhaps a month). Obviously, I could simply write a cron script to move the
whole mailbox file to another location, compress it and touch a new mailbox
file with appropriate permissions, but that would be a bit messy -
especially if I need to read the messages again.

So how can I move messages from one mailbox to another after they've been
delivered? I can't see how I could invoke procmail from a cron job to read
individual messages in a mailbox to check their received date - am I trying
to use the wrong tool?

Look forward to your replies.

Ed