Unable to lock ICE authority file: /usr/simon/.ICEauthority

I have recently upgraded to Fedora from Redhar 9. At first everything was fine, then I started recieving the above message at login.
Apparently the login program thinks that my home is at /usr/simon rather than /home/simon wher it was originally. I attempted to delete the original user 'simon' and recreate a new one which worked for a while then the problem resurfaced.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards
simon